The best thing about the slow cooker is that you can literally throw all your ingredients in and leave it. Ideal for people out at work all day, sleeping after a night shift or just generally busy. Even for those who aren’t but who have no desire to be slaving over a hot stove! Plus the slow cooker is cheaper to run than a conventional oven. This slow cooker lamb and potato curry recipe is from Bored of Lunch on Instagram, Facebook and TikTok.
When it comes to this lamb and potato curry I found it not very spicy hot and suitable for all the family. Therefore, you may want to make it hotter but I am not sure how that would work.
Secondly it doesn’t have to be lamb (which can be pretty expensive). If you do substitute it, for say chicken or beef, then do the same with the stock. This may work with no meat at all – but I haven’t tried this. We did try it with chicken however and didn’t find it as nice as the lamb. What I really love about this is that it can make it seem like a whole new meal idea but without having to think too much about what’s involved.
What you Need to Make the Slow Cooker Lamb & Potato Curry
Obviously as the title suggests you are going to need a Slow Cooker. There’s only four of us at home now and therefore we only need to make four good sized meals. Yes even our Sensory Seeker loved this recipe so he wanted a proper adult sized dish too. Saying that our slow cooker is a pretty small one. We actually have two for when the six of us were at home.
- Slow Cooker
- Chopping Board
- Teaspoon (if you want to be accurate, otherwise just throw a bit in!)
Ingredients for the Curry
- 300g lamb (or alternative)
- 6 potatoes – no need to peel first
- 4 x garlic cloves
- 1 x can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x can of reduced fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 lamb stock pot (or alternative)
- 1 x onion or handful of frozen onion
- 1 tbsp of cornflour (optional but will thicken the sauce), obviously the water to mix it up with
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 x bay leaves
- Fresh mint to garnish (optional)
You can eat this on its own but we had it with rice. Obviously you can also add in other extras associated with a curry such as Naan bread, onion bhajis, vegetable samosas, and poppadoms.
How to Make the Slow Cooker Lamb & Potato Curry
- Roughly chop the potatoes. We have found that these aren’t cooked properly so am now advising that they are part cooked first, before adding to the slow cooker.
- Throw all the ingredients (apart from the mint) into the slow cooker
- Either cook on high for 4 hours (personally this didn’t work for us however, the potatoes were still hard and we had to whack it on high for longer. It was fine low and slow)
- Or on low for 8 hours
- Garnish with mint (we didn’t bother)
Things to Note
Honestly I was really wary about not browning the meat first. Just trust the process. It was fine. That and not peeling – I just didn’t need the extra hassle!
You may also be interested in Slow Cooked Bacon and Green Bean Risotto with Pesto