This vegan slow cooked Red Thai curry is simple to make and can be adapted to add in, or take out, things people do not like. It is ideal for us as I am finding that a lot of vegan recipes have mushrooms, and our children are not keen.
Also, like the Vegan Sweet and Spicy Stir Fry recipe you can adapt it with what vegetables you do or do not like; as well as with the ones available to you at the time.
Unlike the other slow cooker recipes it does have a tiny bit of cooking prior to being slow-cooked. However, it isn’t a lot. Therefore, it does make another great meal idea if you are out all day or just really busy. Or, like me, aren’t one for loving being in the kitchen a lot!
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 3-4 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 200g Red Thai Curry Paste
- 500ml Vegetable Stock
- Vegetable oil
- Small bunch of fresh Coriander
- Cornflour if you wish to thicken it
- Cashew nuts (optional)
I will say this is my first time using coconut sugar and I was unsure if it was more to do with how ethical it was or the flavour. It wasn’t the cheapest of ingredients. So to say I was a little annoyed that the bag burst completely open and the coconut sugar went everywhere (losing quite a bit) was very annoying to say the least. Note to self that in future to be even more careful opening a bag.
If anyone happens to know whether there is an alternative that would work just as well then please let me know.
Vegetables for Red Thai Curry
- ½ small broccoli
- 4 large potatoes or diced sweet potatoes or butternut squash
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 50g green beans or 100g sugar snap peas cut in half
- 1 large onion
Method for Making Vegan Slow Cooked Red Thai Curry
- Prepare all your vegetables and the garlic (peeling and chopping)
- Place all your vegetables apart from the onion (you will need this separately with your garlic) into your slow cooker
- Also add the coconut milk and sugar; the juice of your lime and the 500ml vegetable stock
- These can begin cooking whilst you move on to the next stage.
- Next in a pan add a little oil and cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Then add the Red Thai Curry Paste to the cooked onions and garlic, cook for a further two minutes.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or until the potatoes and other vegetables are soft.
- Remember to cook rice so that it is in time for you to serve. This will vary depending on your rice and method of cooking. We use a rice pot so this is 20 minutes before the end.
- 10 minutes before the end thicken with cornflour.
- Next add in some fresh coriander and turn to high.
- 2 minutes before the end you may add roasted cashews.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
We found this curry flavoursome but not too spicy. We have been trying a lot of new recipes lately and this was The Sensory Seeker’s favourite so far. This is despite the fact that initially he didn’t even want to try it because it is vegan!
You may also wish to make some Easy Vegan Naan Bread to go with it.