Vita Coco Kids is are looking to find the best autumn picnic spots across the UK. We headed to the Beechenhurst, Forest of Dean with our Gruffalo picnic where the Gruffalo’s Child trail is available until 28th February 2015. We were sent a picnic basket of goodies and have a chance of receiving a John Lewis voucher for £100 and a month’s supply of Vita Coco Kids. See why we think the forest is a great place for an autumn picnic.
“The Gruffalo said that no gruffalo should
Ever set foot in the deep dark wood.”
It wasn’t dark when we went but Beechenhurst Forest is open from 8am-6pm, meaning that (especially as we get into winter) there’s a chance to explore the dark. If you are going to stay that long then you really want refuelling.
By bringing books to life you can really help engage children, making it easier for them to learn. We made a Gruffalo picnic using cues from the books The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo’s Child. We did substitute the Gruffalo Tea for the drinks provided by Vita Coco Kids.
By using your imagination you can even get children to try things they would not normally. Such as when we added a piece of lettuce with a long stem to represent the mouse’s tail hanging out of the wraps.
As you can see our Sensory Seeker does not like lettuce – but he DID eat it when we convinced him that he could have some Gruffalo cake if he did!
I think that this the Forest is the best place for an Autumn picnic because:
- It is Nature’s playground – where else will you be able to experience and enjoy all that Autumn has to offer.
- The boys had plenty of space to run, jump, splash in puddles, play with sticks and generally enjoy their youth.
- The boys could scream and shout.
- The boys learnt so much, with hands on experience.
- It is a great place for fresh air – away from fumes, and industry.
- There are toilets and hand-washing facilities provided.
- You may just see a Gruffalo.
- It is the perfect place for family time as there’s no (or very little) signal – meaning no distractions from technology.
- The boys slept like a log afterwards.
The two youngest boys clothing we received free from Joules. We received a free picnic set (food not included) in order to find an autumn picnic location for Vita Coco Kids. All words and opinions are my own.