Yoga is good for core stability, strength, flexibility, relaxation, de-stressing and balancing for body, mind and soul. But one thing that worries me about doing Yoga is what happens when it is the time of the month. I have awfully heavy periods and tend to leak – which could result in things being VERY embarrassing. If I were at home I guess I would just take the week off and not go, but regular readers will know that I am off to review a Yoga Retreat with Mark Warner next month – and you guessed it! Thankfully the ladies at DiaryDoll know exactly my problem and have stepped in to help me out.
About DiaryDoll Underwear
The DiaryDoll brand is the award winning technical underwear developed by celebrities Carol Smillie and Annabel Croft to help women of all ages deal with leaks. The underwear is pretty and helps build confidence with women feeling assured that whether it is the time of the month or stress-incontinence no-one will be aware of any problems occurring. I personally can vouch for their effectiveness having tried some myself. They are light-weight and discrete, fully machine washable and have a waterproof panel which protects clothing and bedding when normal sanitary protection fails. The come available for ladies sizes 6-20 and if you order online come in a discrete cotton purse. They are available in 4 colours (baby pink, jet black, dotty blue and grey marl) and cost £14.95 a pair.
Yoga and Pilates Instructor Rose-Marie Sorokin B.A., Dip BWY from the Inner Light Yoga Company in Kent says that leaks can occur from coughing, sneezing, laughing, jumping or doing heavy lifting. That the leak is caused from the pelvic floor being unable to tighten enough and this can happen at any time but is most common during pregnancy, after child-birth and during stages of menopause (when oestrogen disappears). That the best way to help is not just to strength the pelvic floor but also the other muscles in the area.
Exercises to help with Stress incontinence
- Kegel Exercises: Most people are familiar with the idea of squeezing the pelvic floor muscles like they do when stopping the flow of urine. Squeeze for 5 seconds then relax for 5 seconds, increasing the amount of time as you go on up to 10 seconds for each.
- Pelvic Floor Lift: Lying on your back with the soles of your feet together and your knees apart – press the soles of your feet together without tightening your buttocks or thighs, or rotating the pelvis. Hold for 5 seconds at a time and repeat for 10-20 times.
- Lower Body Exercise: Lie on your front with your hands stretched out in front of you and rest your forehead on them. Engaging your pelvic floor and thighs squeeze a ball or cushion between your thighs for 5 seconds – increasing up to 10 seconds. Do this 10 times, increasing up to 20.
- Half Squat: Standing with your feet hip-width apart and hands on hips, bend your knees until you go halfway towards the floor; making sure the knees go over the toes. Go up and down 6 times and repeat 3 times.
Changes in Diet to help with Stress incontinence
- Magnesium rich foods – eat more wholegrain, dark leafy green vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds.
- Vitamin D – promotes calcium absorption.
- Cut out caffeine
- Stay Hydrated
- Identify food sensitives
THREE LUCKY READERS OF PINKODDY’S BLOG CAN GET THEIR OWN PAIR OF DIARY DOLL PANTS IN THIS GREAT GIVEAWAY!
Simply tell me in 10 words or more the answer to the following question AND complete the RAFFLECOPTER:
Why would you like to have a pair of Diary Doll pants and which colour would you go for?
ENDS 24TH JUNE 2016 0:00 AM
I received a free pair of Diary Doll pants for me to share my honest opinion. Diet and exercise tips have been provided for purposes of this article. No financial compensation has been given. Prizes sent straight from the promoter.